Wednesday, April 29, 2009

A different kind of breakfast

Ok, so the hubby has been bugging me to cook sweet things. :) Now that we are in the mobile and not just the cabin, I have room to do so!

After talking with my sister in law the other day about a pineapple upside down cake she baked, I thought that it sounded pretty good. Pineapple upside down cake sounded like a dessert though, and I wanted to make it for breakfast. So I did PEACH upside down cake. Here's my recipe.

2 Tbsp. butter (melted)
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 can (11 ounces) peach slices, drained, reserve juice

Melt the butter in your pan (I used a 8 inch round cake pan) in the oven at 150 degrees. Watch so it doesn't brown or burn though. Mix in your brown sugar (since it wasn't enough to liquify my brown sugar I also added a little of the peach juice). And then dump in your drained peaches.

Set this pan aside.

in a bowl mix together:

1 1/3 cups all purpose flour
3/4 cup sugar
2 tsp. baking powder
2/3 cup milk
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla

Mix all of these together well. I admit I didn't really measure the milk, I used evaporated milk and just added it from the can until it reached the right consistancy for cake batter.

Pour this mix over the top of your peaches in your cake pan.

Cook at 350 degrees F until set and cakey.. About 30 - 35 minutes at my 4900 feet altitude.

While it's cooking stir the rest of the can of milk into the peach juice and add about 1/3 cup of brown sugar.

Take the cake out of the oven, let sit for about 5 - 10 minutes (or until you can't stand to smell it anymore). then cut like a pizza (I cut mine in 8 pieces and it turned out just about right!) and serve on a plate. As you get ready to serve it, drizzle alittle of the milk/juice/brown sugar sauce over the top of it.

Hubby ate 2 pieces for breakfast this morning, and will eat some more after dinner tonight... Which is loaded baked potatoes, that are currently heating away in the oven as I type. Sour cream, shredded cheese, bacon, mushrooms, and butter.

I looked in my food stuffs and have found that I am down to only 3 jars of butter! Crud. This means that when we go to the big city tomorrow, I'll have to pick up some more butter. Last time we were in town I saw that they have their store brand butter for $1.58 a pound, so I am hoping it still close to that price. If it is then I'll pick up 5 or 6 lbs. and put up some more jars of butter. Wouldn't do to run out. I still have a lot of shortening, and lard. And I also have 2 #10 cans of butter powder for cooking. Can't wait until I get those goats! then I can make butter from the goats milk.

We are still moving some stuff in from the cabin to the mobile, but we are down to just a few things. Some more food, a few books, and this and that. hubby will be moving in the power stuff in the upcoming days. Everything will be put on hold of course for tomorrow, while we are in the big city. So Friday we'll start in again. I have so much room now that it's pretty odd to try to find places for everything. I'll put something in a drawer and decide I don't like that and move it.. then I'll move it again, then again and again... It's nuts. lol. My china cabinet right now is filled with my cookbooks, our tea collection (we love tea, I would love to get some from all over the world!) our plates and bowls, and my survival/preparedness books. The survival/Preparedness books will be moved to the living room once we get a few shelves up. Especially as I unpack the boxes from the tent/garage because there are more books in those boxes. :D

And, once we get all the stuff from storage in Eugene, I'll have even MORE books. Hubby and I are both big book fiends. When we aren't watching movies, working on the property, playing computer games, crocheting or whatever, then we are reading. I think hubby has read 9 books so far this month and I am working on #13. He's currently working his way through the star trek books that columbia are putting out of course. Trek junkie that he is. lol.

Anyway, the dishes are dry that I washed earlier, so I have to put them away and check the taters. Maybe I'll warm up some soup or something to go with them too... Or maybe that'll be overkill. We'll see.

hugs!

1 comment:

Champagne Girl said...

Yumm sounds like the Peach Cobbler I make! :o)