Wednesday, September 2, 2009

dog treats and breeding peanut butter

I have a very huge over abundance of peanut butter here. lol. I tried to share with friends, but everyone I asked also had several jars. You get them everywhere up here. They are a cheap form of protien so they are given as gifts, "knock and drops" and other wonderful occasions...

Had a baby? here's some peanut butter... Birthday? Have some peanut butter... broke your arm? have some peanut butter... dog had puppies? peanut butter... dog ran away? have some peanut butter.

Get a food box and you get peanut butter. Get commodities from the tribe get peanut butter... lol.

I think the are like zuchini, you turn your back and they breed. Mind you I am not complaining... but I do think it's funny. I have this awesome memory of being here at my new home (back in November) for only about 2 weeks. We went and visited one of our new found friends and I mentioned I had to run to town, I was out of peanut butter and a few other items. Friends' hubby went to the cabinet and grabbed a 2 pack of Jif and said there you go. It wasn't until later that I found out that they had 12 jars of peanut butter. ROFL. Since this time I have found out that it's tradition around here. Some jars are more beloved than grandparents. Being passed from friend to friend and neighbor to neighbor for generations.

Needless to say, that even with hubby loving the stuff, and myself liking it somewhat, it continues to grow. Currently I have about 7 jars. Consuming one or two a week just doesn't cut it! They reproduce way too fast. This of course will come in handy down the road, remember, food storage is important. But because of this abundance I started looking for more recipes to use it in. I have 3 dogs.. TADA Dog treats! I found a few recipes, and yesterday made a second batch with a second recipe to try. I didn't like yesterdays batch, it was crispy hard and was a pain in the butt to get all cut out and in the pan and cooked... Maybe that was because i was using a 1 inch by 3/4 inch gingerbread man cookie cutter. lol. The final 1/2 of the batch I just whizzed into squares with my handi-dandi pizza cutter. Anyway... The recipe i made the day before I really liked! So, I'll include that recipe here. They were easy to do as you just scoop them onto your cookie sheets and smoosh them like you would sugar cookies. dump, mix, plop, flatten, cook, done!

Peanut butter dog treats
1 cup to 1 1/2 cups flour
3/4 cup oatmeal
1/4 cup wheat germ (I used ground flax seed as I didn't have the wheat germ)
1/4 cup crunchy peanut butter (I used smooth, I don't have crunchy)
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup honey
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup water

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 C)
mix all ingredients either by hand or on low until well blended. Form into tablespoon sized balls and place on ungreased cookie sheet. Flatten balls to 1/4" thick using a fork or spoon.
Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown.
Makes about 20 cookies.

I used my smallest pampered chef scoop. I can't remember the scoop size, but I think it's either a tablespoon sized scoop or just under. then I flattened with a fork like you would sugar cookies. I got 27 treats out of the recipe.

Even after being 3 days old now, they are still soft. I have them stored in a 1 gallon sized plastic jar. I think next time I'll add a little cinnamon or parsley. Cinnamon is good for their blood, and parsley is good for their breath. I'm a little surprised that it didn't include salt. Iodine just as important for dogs as it is for us. In the wild the dog would get iodine from the blood of it's kill. Same with salt. Although, hopefully, they are getting enough of this in the dog food that is fed....

No comments: