Monday, September 14, 2009

Fake meat!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=te6Cv7RTazU&feature=channel_page

I watched this video and thought I would give it a go! Here's the recipe written out:

1 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup wheat gluten
1 tsp. sea salt
1/4 tsp cinnamon
mix these dry ingredients well.

1/2 cup COLD water
1/2 tsp. liquid smoke
Mix these liquid ingredients and add to the dry.

Let rest 5 minutes.

Can be fried in oil, (olive oil is good, but sesame oil is preferred), as patties that are 1/2 of an inch thick.

Or, you can boil it in water, broth of any kind. Bring liquid to a boil, then add your dough, and return to boil. then turn to a simmer and let it go for 20 minutes.

OR you can keep it in a bag in the fridge for up to a week while pulling off what you would like to use for each meal.

If you boil, slice and eat, good on sammies or in stir fry.

To make it sweeter, use 1 TBSP of any sweetener of your choice before adding the liquid to the recipe.

OK, on to the reveiw. lol.

I made it up according to Sarah's directions. Being that I am at 5000 feet above sea level or that we are in a more arid area I ended up adding more water (between 1/3 to 1/2 cup more) in order to get it to the same consistency as what Sarah shows in the video (LOVE VIDEOS!). Once I had it to the same consistency, I fried up 2 patties in regular veggie oil (it's what I had unless I wanted to use lard), in my 10" cast iron skillet. One patty for me, and one for the hubby.

Fried it was pretty good. I could see it with alfredo sauce and some veggies, or with some gravy and mashed taters. I could also see it fried in a bun with cheese, lettuce and tomatoes like a chicken sammie from McDonald's or Jack in the box.

Hubby, (the one I have to please with the food) was impressed that he could eat it. As most of you know he has no teeth, having to have had them removed after cancer destroyed them. Finding something he can eat is the challenge of my life! lol. he ate the entire pattie i fried for him, and probably would have eaten another if I had made him more. lol.

Then I took the remainder, and like Sarah did I boiled it. I used chicken broth to boil mine in. I boiled it for 20 minutes then took it out and let it cool for a few. It had the feel and look of a brain when I took it out... I know that sounds unappetizing, but it was kind of fun...

Upon cutting into it, I found that it hadn't cooked all the way through, again, I am thinking this is because of the altitude difference. I would boil it for an additional 5 to 10 minutes, OR make smaller balls of dough.

It was done enough on the outside for us to eat the outside, and leave the inner uncooked part. Hubby didn't like it. He said that it resembled cooked playdough in texture and flavor. lol. I could eat it if I put sauce on it... maybe I will turn it into dumplings or something and try it again later.

So the consensus is that at some future date, I'll make it fried, hubby really liked that, but boiled was a no-go for him.

It's going in my personal recipe file for me to use again, though. 90% or so on the protien meter isn't bad if you are stuck with little to no real meat and you can't leave due to being locked down for Swine Flu pandemic or invading mutant zombie bikers!

Give Sarah's other video's a look, she has some good stuff. Sarah's Pioneer Living or exploreourplanetorg on youtube.com

No comments: