Friday, February 6, 2009

Tortilla Dreamin'

I have discovered something the hubby loves... homemade tortillas!

3 cups white flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup shortening (or lard or vegetable oil)
1 cup warm/hot water

mix together the flour, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl. Using your hand crumble in the lard or shortening until the mix looks like small peas. pour in the hot water a little at a time and mix with your hand (I just make the water as hot as I can stand to put my hand in. Don't use boiling water, the tortillas aren't to have chunks of your hand left behind in it.) until a nice dough forms and all the flour is incorporated. Let dough rest for 15 minutes. Divide dough into 7-9 balls, and roll each out to the size tortilla you like. Fry on top of an ungreased skillet (if the skillet/griddle isn't non-stick then feel free to use a little shortening or oil to keep them from sticking.) until golden brown on each side. Use as you would any storebought tortilla.

I made 9 balls, and made our tortillas a little smaller. Also I made them thicker like what they call Gordita wrappers. I liked it that way as it's more like bread. hehe. Hubby loved them so much I have made them the last 2 days in a row and will probably make more today. Blah. It's not hard, just time consuming to fry them up. I like them too, I had some last night with some chicken in them for dinner. Just open a can of chicken, drained it, added some mayo, and some season salt and put it in the tortilla.

I also made some hummus, but I didn't like it. hubby liked that too. If you don't have tahini for the hummus recipe, you can use peanut butter according to the subsitutions I found. But I didn't like the way it tasted. I don't know if it was the peanut butter or the recipe or what. I'll have to find some tahini and give it another shot. Unless I am lucky enough to find canned hummus somewhere. lol.

Nubis is coming along quite well btw, he knows his name well enough now that he's coming to it (most of the time, come on, he's only 11 1/2 weeks old!) and he's settling into a routine. We have even let him off leash outside while we are all there and he runs and plays with his siblings. Gotta keep on top of sister though, she likes to try to run off, and I don't want her to teach him that. Must admit, that since we got Nubis, she doesn't run off as much. Don't know if it's because she wants to see what he's doing, or because we are right there now to get on her case if she goes to far. :D Pan even played with Nubis some. Thor acts like the grumpy and knighted ol' man. He'll snarl and snap if Nubis tries any of that puppy crap of biting his nose while he sleeps. Then he'll sit there and wag his tail for Nubis to attack and play with later.

We were supposed to get some snow showers last night. But apparently we didn't. I'll tell you though, when I went and took Nubis and the others out this morning, even in my wonderful snowboots, it was slicker than troll snot out there. Whaaaaaa... I like to stay home when I CHOOSE to stay home... but having to stay home because the ice has me trapped makes me crabby. Not that I have anywhere I MUST be at today... But I was hoping to go down and check the mail at least.

Maybe I'll just stay home and work on some dishes, and the kitchen. I've about had it with my kitchen, nothing is how I want it set up and It's starting to make me irritated. When that happens what's there to do other than to change it. Right? I still have almost 5 days before I HAVE to go back to the big city. That gives me plenty of time to do other things around here... Other than the fact that I am still fighting some kind of nastiness, and this morning woke up with another headache!

I wish that I could find a dr. that could tell me why I am having these headaches. I know it's not carbon monoxide... I've been having headaches and migraines since I was 9 or so... I know that it's not the food. lol. They just seem to hit out of the blue and make my life miserable. Blah. I guess it's just my fate to be continually taking pain meds for the pain in my head.

ok, I have to start in doing "something" around here... so I am going to run for now. have a great day/week/month/year!

busy beaver of treehaven

No comments: