Saturday, December 13, 2008

It's all in how you look at things

Over a dozen pines reach for heaven, their needles tips painted with glistering snow. A hill sweeps up to the horizon just beyond the trees where the low sagebrush dots the ground and stubbornly defies the light snow. There are fresh paw prints in a light fluff snow made by an over excited K9 leading out of our front yard, into the groves of trees to my right, and then stretching up the sage doted hill in the distance. One lone pine, bent till its crown just touches the two inches of snow on the ground, laughs at me because it has survived yet another day without me ending its struggle for life with a chainsaw.

That is the view from my window this morning as I sit here contemplating our own struggles here in the backwoods. Right now we are stranded with no truck. My own stupidity the cause of our plight. We should be able to retrieve it on Monday, but it's going to cost a good bit of my next check and we are at the mercy of the same snow that looks so wonderful. Bad roads could prevent us from going into town to pick it up.

We are low on gas for our gas hog of a generator and our little portable battery pack has proven to way less then we needed. If it were not for the help of some of our new friends, we would be even worse off then we are right now.

Thanks to good advice and help we have heat and still a good bit of fuel for our heater. We have plenty of food and water so we will make it. It could get unconformable, but I don't foresee dire circumstances.

I could sit here and curse and rave at the snow for making our life that much harder, but right now its just to pretty for me to get mad at it. I guess it really is all in how you look at things.

Snow bound Geek of Treehaven

No comments: