Saturday, January 31, 2009

Cous Cous Dinner! YUMMY

1 can treet, chopped into 1/2 inch cubes
1 can mushroom stems & pieces, drained
1 can garbonzo beans, drained
1 can diced tomatoes
1 can chicken broth
1 can black eye peas, drained
1 cup cous cous (I used sun-dried tomato cous cous)
Salt to taste
Pepper to taste
1/2 tsp. Powdered garlic
1/2 tsp. rosemary

Fry the treet until it's all brown and yummy.

Mix all except the cous cous in pan and bring to a boil. Boil until everything is heated through. Add the cous cous and cover with lid, turn off heat. Let sit about 5 minutes, stir and serve. It will still have some liquid in it, kind of like a thick stew or thick soup. Mmmmm!

A nice rustic bread would have been good with this, but I didn't have any. So it was some plain ol' store bread instead.

I also added some velveeta to my boil when I got it, hubby sprinkled his with some parmesan cheese.



Can replace the cous cous with some cooked rice or cooked noodles for a different meal if you like. Or use regular cous cous instead of the sun-dried tomato kind I used. There are some really good ones out there that have all kinds of herbs cooked in or cheeses. I had the sun-dried cous cous on hand though. My beloved sister in law had bought it and didn't like it so I told her we like cous cous and she mailed it over. This is what I invented to use up some of it.

2 comments:

Kootenay Annie said...

What is treet?
Sorry this Canadian in the Kootenays has never heard of it!
Love you blog, glad to read you on line.
Kootenay Annie

Acorn Seasons said...

Treet is a generic kind of Spam. But I think it's got a little different flavor. It certainly is CHEAPER! lol. I can get it sometimes at the dollar store, but if not it's about $1.49 at Fred Meyer or Walmart. Where Spam is over $2.00 USD.

I am glad you like the blog! I update it as often as I can get to town. :D We live in the wilderness of Oregon and until we get into town we don't have internet. It makes me very happy to see people like it!